District Mental Health Staff
The goal of district mental health staff is to partner directly with families, educators, students, and our communities to address and overcome barriers to academic achievement at the post-secondary level. Ultimately this partnership provides the necessary support and guidance that are essential to academic success and sound life decisions.
Mental health professionals are licensed and trained to provide support and interventions to students and families proactively and in times of emotional/mental health crisis.
They do this by providing individual, small group and family support. Sessions focus on:
- Improving social, emotional and academic functioning
- Positive reinforcement
- Behavior modification
- Specific skill development
- Building trusting connections with each student and their family
- Direct consultation and linkage to appropriate community resources for families
- Help students and their families meet basic needs and overcome barriers to education
Please note that mental health staff placements are created around the ever-changing and unique needs of each school and may vary throughout the year and at each site. Please contact your student's school for more information.
NIKKI ROLES, MSW, LICSW
Karen C Hamm, Ed.s., NCSP
Talking about COVID-19
Information provided by National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- I’m having a lot of anxiety because of the coronavirus. Please help.
- I’m quarantined or working from home – lonely and isolated even further – what can I do?
- I have a different question, where can I find more information?
I’m having a lot of anxiety because of the coronavirus. Please help.
I’m quarantined or working from home – lonely and isolated even further – what can I do?
I have a different question, where can I find more information?
Thoughts, Emotions and Coping with Stress
- CALM App
- Conscious Discipline: https://consciousdiscipline.com/covid-19-five-helpful-responses-for-families/
- Minnesota Department of Health Behavioral Health and Emergency Preparedness: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/ep/behavioral/index.html#covid19
- National Association of School Psychologists "Helping Kids Cope with the Changes from COVID-19": https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/helping-children-cope-with-changes-resulting-from-covid-19
- Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19: https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdf
- Minnesota Department of Health "Supporting Mental Health during COVID-19: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1586793971/district196org/auuaxcxxtmmehnvybxpg/MDHMentalWell-beingduringCOVID.pdf